RESEARCH EXPERIENCE: Detection and charaterization of extrasolar planets, High resolution spectroscopy, Radiative transfer, Infrared solar and stellar physics.
1970 - B.A. Mathematics - University of Chicago
1976 - Ph.D. Astronomy - University of Illinois
· American Astronomical Society
· Division of Planetary Sciences
· Solar Physics Division
· American Geophysical Union
· International Astronomical Union
· Chair, Senior Review Proposal Committee, NASA Planetary Systems Science Cluster, 2001
· Conference Chair, "Scientific Frontiers in Research on Extrasolar Planets", held at the Carnegie Institution in Washington, DC, June 18-21, 2002 Co-editor of the Proceedings (with Sara Seager).
· Review Panels for NASA Planetary Atmospheres (2003, 2005) and Exobiology programs (2003)
· Scientific Organizing Committee, "The Search for Other Worlds" Conference, Univ. Maryland, October 2003; Co-editor of the Proceedings (with Stephen Holt).
· Organizer, AAS Special Session (with S. Seager & D. Charbonneau) "From Hot Jupiters to Hot Earths", 207th Meetings of the AAS, 8-12 January 2006, Washington, DC
2005 "A New Search for Carbon Monoxide Absorption in the Infrared Spectrum of the Extrasolar Planet HD209458b", D. Deming, T. M. Brown, D. Charbonneau, J. Harrington, and J. Richardson, Ap.J. 622, 1149.
2005 "Infrared Radiation from an Extrasolar Planet", D. Deming, S. Seager, L. J. Richardson, and J. Harrington, Nature 434, 740.
2005 "On the Dayside Thermal Emission of Hot Jupiters", S. Seager, L. J. Richardson, B. Hansen, K. Menou, J. Cho & D. Deming, Ap.J. in press.
2004 "Lessons learned from Shoemaker-Levy 9 about Jupiter and Planetary Impacts," J. Harrington, I. de Pater, S. H. Brecht, D. Deming, V. Meadows, K. Zahnle and P. Nicholson 2003, Chapter 8, in the book "Jupiter", Cambridge University Press, (ed. F. Bagenal, T. Dowling, & W. McKinnon), p. 159.
2004 "Spectroscopy of Molecular Hydrogen Emission from KH 15D," D. Deming, D. Charbonneau, and J. Harrington, Ap.J. (Letters), 601, L87.
2003 "Transit Spectroscopy of HD 209458b," J. Harrington, D. Deming, C. Goukenleuque, K. Matthews, L. J. Richardson, D. Steyert, G. Wiedemann, and D. Zeehandelaar 2003, in "Scientific Frontiers in Research on Extrasolar Planets", ASP Conf. Proceedings, (eds. D. Deming and S. Seager), p. 471.
2003 "Infrared Observations During the Secondary Eclipse of HD 209458b, I. 3.6-Micron Occultation Spectroscopy Using the VLT," L. J. Richardson, D. Deming, G. Wiedemann, C. Goukenleuque, D. Steyert, J. Harrington, and L. W. Esposito 2003, Ap.J., 584, 1052.
2003 "Infrared Observations During the Secondary Eclipse of HD 209458b, II. Strong Limits on the Infrared Spectrum near 2 Microns," L. J. Richardson, D. Deming, and S. Seager, 2003, Ap.J., 597, 581.
2003 "Detection of Close-in Extrasolar Giant Planets Using the Fourier-Kelvin Stellar Interferometer" W. C. Danchi, D. Deming, M. J. Kuchner, and S. Seager 2003, Ap.J. (Letters), 597, L57.
2002 " The Galactic Exoplanet Survey Telescope (GEST)," D. P. Bennett, J. Bally, I. Bond, E. Cheng, K. Cook, D. Deming, et al. 2002, in "Future EUV-UV and Visible Space Astrophysics Missions and Instrumentation", SPIE Conf. Proceedings 4854, (eds. J. C. Blades & O. H. Siegmund), p. 141..
2002 "Spectral Contrast Enhancement Techniques for Extrasolar Planet Imaging," T. Hewagama, R. Barclay, T. Chen, D. Deming, et al. 2002, in "High-Contrast Imaging for Exo-Planet Detection", SPIE Conf.Proceedings 4860, (eds. R. G. Lyon and A. B. Schultz), p. 381.