Interests include: the study of the solar wind as a turbulent magnetohydrodynamic fluid, theoretical studies of the solar modulation of cosmic rays, the stability of large amplitude Alfvén waves, plasma mechanisms involved in producing solar type III radio bursts, Jovian decameter radiation and other planetary radio phenomena.
Positions and Appointments
Heliospheric Science Division
Laboratory for Geospace Physics, Code 673
NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, Maryland (from 1974)
Graduate Teaching Assistant, U. of Md., 1964-1965
Graduate Research Assistant, U. of Md., 1965-1969
Research Associate, U. of Md., 1970
Visiting Lecturer, Dept. of Environmental Sciences, Tel-Aviv Univ., 1970-1972
NRC/NAS Resident Postdoctoral Research Associate, NASA/GSFC, 1972-1974
Visiting Scientist, Department of Astronomy, U. of Florida, Gainesville, 1980
Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research (Space Physics), 1981-1983
Secretary for Solar Heliospheric Physics, Solar Planetary Relations Section, American Geophysical Union, 1988-1990
Chair, 1990 Gordon Research Conference on Modeling in Solar Terrestrial Physics
Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research (Space Physics), 1997-2001
US Project Scientist for the Cluster Mission, 1986-present
A.B., Columbia College, New York, NY, 1964
Ph.D., Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1970
American Physical Society American Geophysical Union
Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, 2006
NASA/GSFC Special Achievement Award, 1975
NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal, 1991
JGR Space Physics Refereeing Award, 1993
* 2005 "Drift-kinetic Alfvén waves observed near a reconnection X-line in the Earth's magnetopause ", C.C. Chaston, T.D. Phan, J.W. Bonnell, F.S. Mozer, M. Acuña, M.L. Goldstein, A. Balogh, M. Andre, H. Reme, A. Fazakerley, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 065002.
* 2005 "The near-earth solar wind", M.L. Goldstein, J. Eastwood, R.A. Treumann, E.A. Lucek, J. Pickett, and P. Décérau, Space Science Reviews, 116, 7-39.
* 2005 "The magnetosheath", E.A. Lucek, D. Constantinescu, M.L. Goldstein, J. Pickett, J.L. Pinçon, F. Sahraoui, R A. Treumann, S.N. Walker, Space Science Reviews, 116, 95-152.
* 2005 "Turbulence on a small scale", M.L. Goldstein, Nature News and Views, 11 August, 2005.
* 2005 "Three-dimensional solar wind model with pickup protons", Arcadi V. Usmanov and Melvyn L. Goldstein, The Solar Wind 11 - SOHO 16 Conference "Connecting Sun and Heliosphere", Whistler, BC, Canada, June 12-17, 2005.
* 2005 "Simulations of solar wind turbulence", M. L. Goldstein and D. A. Roberts The Solar Wind 11 - SOHO 16 Conference "Connecting Sun and Heliosphere", Whistler, BC, Canada, June 12-17, 2005..
* 2006 "Shedding new light on solitary waves observed in space", J.S. Pickett, L.J. Chen, D.A. Gurnett, J.M. Swanner, O. Santolik, P.M.E. Décréau, C. Géghin, D. Sundkvist, B. Lefebvre, M.L. Goldstein, B. Lavraud, E. Lucek, R. Kessel, G.S. Lakhina, S.V. Singh, R.V. Reddy, B.T. Tsurutani, H. Rème, and A. Fazakerley, Proceedings of the Cluster-Double Star Workshop, Noordwijk, Holland.
* 2006 "Cluster observation of magnetic structure and electron flows at a northward interplanetary magnetic field, x-line", D. E. Wendel, P. H. Reiff, T. H. Han, M. L. Goldstein, E. Lucek, A. Fazakerley, Proceedings of the Cluster-Double Star Workshop, Noordwijk, Holland.
* 2006 "The magnetospheric cusp: Structure and dynamics", Q.-G. Zong, H. Zhang,T. A. Fritz, S. Y. Fu, Z.Y. Pu, M. L. Goldstein, W. Keith, M. W. Dunlop, A. Korth, P. W. Daly , H. Reme, A. Balogh and A. N. Fazakerley, Proceedings of the Cluster-Double Star Workshop, Noordwijk, Holland.
* 2005 "The First Cluster and Double Star symposium," C.P. Escoubet, A. Masson, H. Laakso, M.G.G.T. Taylor, M.L. Goldstein, EOS, 87, 2, 13.
* 2006 "A three-dimensional MHD solar wind model with pickup protons", A.V. Usmanov and M.L. Goldstein, J. Geophys. Res., 111, A07101, doi:10.1029/2005JA011533.
* 2006 "Self-similar scaling of magnetic energy in the inertial range of solar wind turbulence", J.J. Podesta, D.A. Roberts, and M.L. Goldstein, J. Geophys. Res., 111, No. A9,A09105 http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2006JA011766 .
* 2006 "Power spectra of small scale turbulent velocity fluctuations in the solar wind", J.J. Podesta, D.A. Roberts, M.L. Goldstein, J. Geophys. Res., in press.
* 2006 "Larmor radius size density holes discovered in the solar wind upstream of Earth's bow shock", G.K. Parks, E. Lee, F. Mozer, M. Wilber, E. Lucek, I. Dandouras, H. Rème, C. Mazelle, J.B. Cao, K. Meziane, M.L. Goldstein, P. Escoubet, Phys. Plasmas 13, 050701.
* 2006 "Self-adaptive event-driven simulations of multi-scale plasma systems", Y. Omelchenko, H. Karimabadi, M. L. Goldstein, and A. V. Usmanov, APS Conference Series.