Heliophysics Science Division (670) Highlights
Press Releases & Feature Stories
- The MMS team completed their first comprehensive performance test. Due to launch in late 2014, MMS will investigate how the sun and Earth’s magnetic fields connect and disconnect.
- On June 11, the sun erupted with a coronal mass ejection that may travel pass Mars and may pass by NASA’s STEREO-A spacecraft.
See Division Press Releases & Feature Stories Archive »
- The sun emitted a mid-level solar flare which can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where communications signals travel. This disrupts the radio signals for as long as the flare is ongoing.
There are no Presentations available at this time.
- A CME can cause a space weather phenomenon called a geomagnetic storm.
- SDO's Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) instrument shows the current conditions of the quiet corona.
See Division Image Archive »
- A solar prominence began to bow out and the broke apart in a graceful, floating style in a little less than four hours on March 16, 2013.