Laser remote sensing techniques; detectors for space borne laser instruments; detecting signals from noise.
Positions and Appointments
Scientist, Laser Remote Sensing Branch, Code 694, NASA GSFC, 1999 - present
Associated Research Scientist, Johns Hopkins University, 1989-1999
Instrument Scientist, Mercury Laser Altimeter (MLA);
Instrument performance analyst, Geoscience Laser Altimeter System (GLAS);
Lead detector engineer, GLAS and Mars Orbital Laser Altimeters (MOLA).
1989 Ph.D. in electrical engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore MD
1985 M.S.E., Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
1982 B.S. Taiyuan Institute of Technology, Taiyuan, China.
1. F. M. Davidson and X. Sun, 'Gaussian approximation versus nearly exact performance analysis of optical communication systems with PPM signaling and APD receivers,' IEEE Transaction on Communications, vol. COM-36, pp. 1185-1192, Nov. 1988.
2. X. Sun, F. M. Davidson, and C. Field, '50Mbps free space direct detection laser diode optical communication system with Q=4 PPM signaling,' Selected Papers on Free-Space Laser Communications, D. L. Begley, editor, SPIE Milestone Series, vol. MS30, pp. 543-552, 1990.
3. X. Sun, F. M. Davidson, L. Boutsikaris, and J. B. Abshire, 'Receiver operating characteristics of a laser altimeter with an avalanche photodiode photodetector,' IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronics Systems, vol. 28, pp. 268-275, Jan. 1992.
4. X. Sun and F. M. Davidson, 'Photon counting with silicon avalanche photodiodes,' Journal of Lightwave Technology , vol. 10, pp. 1023-1032, Aug. 1992.
5. X. Sun, F. M. Davidson, and J. B. Abshire, 'Design and performance of a multishot laser altimeter,' Applied Optics, Vol. 32, No. 24, pp. 4578-4585, Aug. 20, 1993
6. X. Sun, D. Reusser, H. Dautet, and J. B. Abshire, Measurement of proton radiation damage of Si avalanche photodiodes,' IEEE Trans Electon Devices, Vol. 44, pp. 2160-2166, Dec 1997.
7. M. T. Zuber, D. E. Smith, S. C. Solomon, J. B. Abshire, R. S. Afzal, O. Aharonson, K. Fishbaugh, P. G. Ford, H. V. Frey, J. B. Garvin, J. W. Head, A. B. Ivanov, C. L. Johnson, D. O. Muhleman, G. A. Neumann, G. H. Pettengill, R. J. Phillips, X. Sun, H. J. Zwally, W. B. Banerdt, and T. C. Duxbury, Observation of the north polar of mars from the mars orbiter laser altimeter, Science, Vol. 282, pp. 2053-2060, Dec. 11, 1998.
7. J. B. Abshire, X. Sun, and R. Afzal, Mars orbiter laser altimeter: receiver model and performance analysis, Applied Optics, Vol. 39, pp. 2449-2460, May 2000.
8. X. Sun, M. A. Krainak, J. B. Abshire, J. D. Spinhirne, C. Trottier, M. Davis, H. Dautet, G. Allan, A. T. Lukemire, and James C. Vandiver, Space-qualified silicon avalanche-photodiode single-photon-counting modules, Journal of Modern Optics, special issue on Single-Photon: Detectors, Applications, and Measurement Methods, Vol. 51, pp. 133-1350, June-July 2004.