Sciences and Exploration Directorate (600) Recent Awards & Honors
International Kristian Birkeland medal
Dieter Bilitza (672)
- Dieter Bilitza was awarded the 2013 International Kristian Birkeland medal for outstanding scientific results related to Space Weather and Space Climate. The Birkeland medal is awarded by the Norwegian academy of science in conjunction with the European Space Weather Week (ESSW). The medal will be presented during this year's ESSW this week in Antwerp, Belgium.
- European Space Weather Week
WIA Aeorspace Awareness Award
Michelle L Thaller (600)
- Dr Michelle Thaller (SED Assistant Director for Science Communication and Higher Education) receives the 2013 Aerospace Awareness Award. The citation reads for "bringing NASA Science to life in the public eye by creating a breakthrough outreach program using TV, conferences and social media to get the scientists’ message out to the world."
- Women in Aerospace
John C. Lindsay Memorial Award for Space Science
James A Klimchuk (671)
- For your many fundamental contributions to our understanding of the heating of the Sun’s corona.
The award will be presented at the The John C. Lindsay Memorial Award Colloquium to be held on Friday, September 27, 2013
Compton J. Tucker (610)
- Given by the Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography, the Vega Medal was created in 1881 on the occasion of Adolf Erik Nordenskiöld's return to Stockholm following his discovery of the North East Passage. Since then, the Vega Medal has been awarded to a physical geographer roughly every three years. This award is given by the King of Sweden on 24 April, the anniversary of Nordenskiöld's return to Stockholm.
- The Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography
AMS Remote Sensing Prize
- Oct, 2013
Pawan K Bhartia (610)
- This very prestigious award is granted biennially to individuals in recognition of advances in the science and technology of remote sensing, and its application to knowledge of the earth, oceans, and atmosphere, and/or to the benefit of society.
Dr. Bhartia's citation reads: "For scientific advances in the remote sensing of global ozone concentration and trends, and for developing new techniques for retrieving aerosol properties from space."
- American Meteorological Society
See all Awards »
WIA Outstanding Achievement Award
Molly Elizabeth Brown (618)
- Dr Molly Brown (Biospheric Sciences Laboratory, Earth Sciences Division) receives the 2013 Outstanding Achievement Award. The citation reads for “her continued work in bringing critical information to the U.S. Government in the area of remote sensing and as an expert on impact of environmental dynamics of food security."
- Women in Aerospace