CODE 600 IT AND DESKTOP MANAGEMENT
The Center continues to work on plans for improving Information Technology (IT) management. Senior Sciences and Exploration Directorate (SED) IT professionals are highly engaged in this process and, along with representatives from the other Directorates, are examining the administration, management and procurement of NASA desktops, laptops and workstations.
From Ed Weiler' s email message dated 7/18/2007: “Our objective is to significantly improve our ability to manage the current - and plan for future - IT requirements, systems and resources. The scope of this undertaking is considerable and the road to success will require the commitment of all, but the need to move in a new directionis, I believe, crystal clear – the Center must change.”
As a first step, our Code 600 Directorate team is working to define our requirements for IT and desktop management, and is coordinating that input with the Center-wide team.
As part of improving IT management, the Directorate will implement a SED IT Management Council. Each Division will have an IT Management Council as well. The purpose of the SED IT Council would include: a) advocate for the needs of Code 600 users, b) oversee IT management and governance in SED, c) advise SED Management on IT issues, and d) support Directorate members of various center-wide IT committees.
This website is intended to communicate the status of the Directorate team and the Center Desktop Transition Team efforts, and to allow your feedback.
+ Provide your feedback about this initiative to the team OR contact your organization's team member directly
IT Infrastructure Review Team (ITIRT) Members:
- 606, Phil Webster, Nancy Laubenthal, co-chairs
- 603, Mike McMichen
- 600 - 606, Nancy Palm, Jeff Simpson, George Rumney
- 610, Jack Richards, Rosa Kao, Georgiann Batluck, Gi-Kong Kim
- 660, Curtis Odell, Phil Newman
- 670, Mike Horn, Tom Vollmer
- 690, Frank Ottens, Judy Johnson
Code 600 IT and Desktop Transition Team's Methodology:
- Requirements Set Classification Definition - Categorize and document the types of desktops (and all other systems) used in the Directorate. Document the features and requirements of each general type. These classifications of systems become the Code 600 Requirements Sets.
- Center Requirements Sets Development - Integrate Code 600 Requirements Sets with other Directorate requirements sets to produce GSFC Requirements Sets.
- System Classification - Identify which systems fit into which of the GSFC Requirement Sets. David Friedlander in Code 660 has developed a draft web tool for gathering desktop information from each user. The web page will need to be filled out for each desktop or workstation that you use. This tool will be demonstrated at the Code 600 All Hands Meeting. The Directorate team will send an email announcement about the tool when it is ready for you to use. (Tentative schedule: Start: July 27, Complete: September 6)
- Solution Set Development - Define the IT management solution(s) for each Requirements Set including preferred procurement approach(es). This will be a joint activity with all Directorates and the Code 700 Desktop Transition Team. (Tentative schedule: Start: July 27, Complete: September 13).
- Plan Implementation - Develop an implementation plan for this new IT management model including transition schedule, risk mitigation, and budget details. we will work with the Center Team to develop a transition plan to implement the Solution Sets. (Tentative schedule: Start: September 13, Complete: October 11)
Other Useful Links: